Dealing with the estate of someone who has passed away can be a daunting prospect at an already difficult time. Our probate solicitors in Norwich are here to make dealing with an estate as straightforward and stress-free as we can, whether or not the deceased left a Will or died without one in place (Intestate).
We offer decades of specialist probate and estate administration experience, a sympathetic attitude and a commitment to making things as easy as possible for our clients.
Our team will work closely with you, providing exactly as much support as you need, whether that is with a single issue, such as securing the Grant of Probate/Letters of Administration, or the whole estate administration process.
The Probate Service at Ashtons Legal is recognised as exceptional in the region. Our team is highly ranked by leading client guide the Legal 500 for their expertise in Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate as well as with Contentious Trusts and Probate.
Our probate lawyers offer the highest levels of training and knowledge, with memberships including the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Solicitors for the Elderly (SfE) and the Association of Tax Technicians.
Our Norwich probate lawyers can help you with:
- Grant of Probate/Letters of Administration
- Full estate administration service
- Bespoke probate and estate administration support
- Intestacy (where the deceased did not leave a Will)
- Inheritance disputes (contentious probate)
- Advice relating to and preparation of Deeds of Variation.
Book a consultation with our probate lawyers in Norwich
We offer a fixed fee consultation with one of our experienced probate experts to discuss your situation and how we can help. This can be in person or videoconferencing.
How we can help with probate in Norwich
Grant of Probate
The first step in administering an estate is to secure a Grant of Probate (or Grant of Letters of Administration if there is no Will). This gives you the legal right to deal with the estate. The administration cannot proceed until probate has been granted.
Our probate solicitors in Norwich make securing Grant of Probate as quick and simple as possible, completing all of the paperwork for you and taking all of the actions needed for probate to be granted.
Our team can help with all matters related to obtaining the Grant of Probate, including:
- Advising if probate is needed
- Estimating and reporting the estate’s value
- Establishing whether any Inheritance Tax is owed and notifying HMRC and arranging the payment of Inheritance Tax
- Applying for probate
- Advice on Trusts arising under the Will
- Advice on any specific issues you will need to consider once probate is granted
Full estate administration service
Many clients choose to have our probate lawyers handle the entire estate administration process for them. This means our team will take care of everything for you, so you do not have to worry about dealing with the estate yourself.
Our probate team in Norwich can work closely with you to make sure the entire estate administration process is handled smoothly and efficiently. You can be as involved or as hands-off as you like, with our goal being to remove any worry and stress for you.
Our full estate administration service can include:
- Obtaining the Grant of Probate
- All matters related to the sale of property
- Calling in the estate assets
- Settling liabilities and legacies
- Dealing with HMRC and payment of Inheritance Tax
- Advice relating to Trust arising from Wills
- Preparation of estate accounts
- Distributing bequests to beneficiaries
- Providing advice to estate Executors as required
Bespoke probate and estate administration support
Often clients are happy to do the majority of the estate administration themselves but want support with specific parts of the process, especially those involving securing Grant of Probate and dealing with Inheritance Tax and HMRC.
Our probate team in Norwich can assist with any of the individual areas covered by our full estate administration service (see above), as well as offering support for any other matters you may need assistance with as part of dealing with an estate.
Where someone dies without leaving a valid Will, they are said to have died ‘intestate’. This can make dealing with their estate more complicated, so expert legal advice can be particularly valuable. In these cases, the deceased’s assets pass under the “Rules of Intestacy” as defined by law/statute.
Our legal team in Norwich can deal with the entire process of administering an intestate estate or just help with specific parts where you need some assistance, such as securing the Grant of Letters of Administration or dealing with Inheritance Tax.
Our intestacy expertise includes:
- Applying for the Grant of Letters of Administration
- Advice on Inheritance Tax and HMRC reporting requirements
- Advice for Estate Administrators
- Advice relating to statutory trusts that arise under Intestacy
- A full estate administration service for intestate estates
Inheritance disputes (contentious probate)
Unfortunately, disputes over estates are fairly common. Whether someone is disappointed with the provision or lack of provision for them in a Will, they have concerns over how the estate is being handled or there is any other point of contention, expert legal advice is essential to secure the best possible outcome.
Our contentious probate solicitors in Norwich take a sensible, pragmatic approach to resolving inheritance disputes. Wherever possible, we will seek an amicable solution through negotiation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR). This can allow you to avoid court proceedings, saving you time and money while keeping conflict to a minimum.
Our contentious probate expertise includes:
- Grant of Probate disputes
- Will disputes
- Inheritance Act claims
- Executor disputes
- Trust disputes
Why choose our probate solicitors in Norwich?
Our Norwich Probate Service offers:
- Decades of specialist probate and estate administration experience
- A friendly, caring and sympathetic service
- A flexible approach – we can handle the whole estate administration process for you or just lend a hand with the parts where you need help
- Fast response times – we will always get back to you quickly
Our probate and estate administration expertise has been independently recognised in various ways, including:
- Highly ranked for Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate by the Legal 500
- Highly ranked for Contentious Trusts and Probate by the Legal 500
- Our Norwich and wider team includes members of:
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Solicitors for the Elderly (SfE)
- Association of Tax Technicians
Our probate and estate administration law fees
We offer payment options tailored to your circumstances, including:
- Fixed fees – for straightforward matters, such as applying for the Grant of Probate
- Bespoke fees – for more complex cases requiring ongoing support
We will discuss your situation with you before agreeing on the best funding option. Our probate lawyers can guarantee that your selected legal plan will be both appropriate to your needs and designed to save you money.
You can read more about our probate pricing here.