Ashtons Legal is a leading regional law firm. We operate throughout East Anglia and the UK. Our clients operate throughout the UK and the rest of the world.
We pride ourselves on our reputation for acting fairly and ethically wherever and whenever we do business. Our reputation is built on our values as a firm, the values of our employees and our collective commitment to acting with integrity.
We as a firm condemn corruption in all its forms and we will not tolerate it in our business or in those with whom we do business. From within the confines of our working environments, it is sometimes difficult to grasp the scale of the damage that bribery does to societies. It is not a victimless crime; far from it:
“Corruption … undermines democracy and the rule of law, leads to violations of human rights, distorts markets, erodes the quality of life and allows organised crime, terrorism and other threats to human security to flourish. This evil phenomenon is found in all countries – big and small, rich and poor…corruption hurts the poor disproportionately by diverting funds intended for development, undermining a government’s ability to provide basic services, feeding inequality and injustice and discouraging foreign aid and investment. Corruption is a key element in economic under-performance and a major obstacle to poverty alleviation and development.” (Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary General)
Our Anti-Corruption and Bribery Policy sets out in detail how our staff should behave and what they should do if they are confronted with corruption.
All staff embrace the Policy and its values and use them in all aspects of their day-to-day work. They are committed to eradicating corruption together according to the ethos set out in the R.I.G.H.T. approach:
- Responsibility. You are responsible for your actions. If you break the law, you will have to face the consequences – which could mean a fine, imprisonment, or both.
- Integrity. Don’t compromise your integrity. If you think something is wrong, ALWAYS report it. If you aren’t sure, consult the Policy. Don’t ever let yourself be forced into doing something you know or suspect is wrong.
- Genuineness. Always pay genuine prices for genuine goods and services. Never pay over the odds. Agents who ask for especially large fees or commissions may do so in order to pay bribes on your behalf. If this happens, you will be responsible. Excessive payments are obvious and will always be uncovered.
- Honesty. Act honestly and in good faith at all times and in all aspects of your work.
- Transparency. Keep accurate records (including all invoices and receipts) of everything that you do, especially in relation to the payments you make and what they are for. Full and accurate records demonstrate complete transparency and that you have nothing to hide.
If you have any questions regarding this Ethics Statement or our Anti-Corruption and Bribery Policy, please contact Ross Strowger (Risk & Compliance Partner) on 01603 703070.