Man’s holiday food poisoning death leads to compensation claim

  • Posted

Posted 03/12/2010

A woman is seeking compensation from a tour operator after her husband died due to contracting food poisoning on holiday.

Geoffrey Appleyard, 71, was enjoying a break in Italy in June 2008 with his wife Jean when he ate food that was contaminated with salmonella.

Eight other people also fell ill as a result, but Mr Appleyard was recovering from stomach surgery and was unable to fight the toxins, so later died.

Last year, Worcestershire coroner Geraint Williams ruled that the four-star Grand Hotel within the Gardone Riviere resort had kitchens that were “riddled” with salmonella and was therefore at fault for the illness and death.

However, although TUI UK has admitted liability, it has not yet organised compensation and Mrs Appleyard said she has no choice but to launch legal action against the company.

Anyone affected by food poisoning on a package holiday should seek the advice of an expert personal injury lawyer, as they may be able to make compensation claims for their pain and suffering.


    How can we help you?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible or to speak to one of our experts call
    0330 404 0749

    I accept that my data will be held for the purpose of my enquiry in accordance with Ashtons
    Privacy Policy

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    How can we help?

    If you have an enquiry or you would like to find out more about our services, why not contact us?