Woman sues supermarket over dead frog
A woman is suing a supermarket amid allegations that a dead frog she found in a wine bottle caused her to suffer from health problems.
Isolde Beesley bought a bottle of Spanish wine from Asda last year and opened it on Boxing Day, Decanter magazine reports.
She claims that as she poured the wine, a dead frog fell out and landed in a family member’s glass.
Ms Beesley said she has suffered from stomach pains since drinking the ‘contaminated’ alcohol and is now seeking personal injury compensation from the supermarket giant.
An Asda representative has said its quality control procedures are “vigorous” and has taken that particular wine off its shelves while it looks into the matter further.
Simon Davis, a personal injury partner at Ashtons Legal, adds: “It is difficult to see how this lady might lose her claim for compensation. Anyone with any knowledge of the history of personal injury damages will recall that the courts were keen to give damages to a lady who thought she found a snail in her bottle of lemonade.
“The thought would turn any stomach. While the risk to health might be low, the revulsion factor is probably sufficient to ensure she will recover damages.”
Consumers have the right to buy goods that are as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
Anyone who is negatively affected by a breach of these regulations may be eligible for personal injury compensation and should seek the advice of specialist solicitors.
How can we help?
If you have an enquiry or you would like to find out more about our services, why not contact us?