Working with Law Firms
Working with you for the benefit of your clients
Ashtons Legal’s Court of Protection team was established because we identified the need for this type of support for our seriously injured clients. We have built up a dedicated team specialising in Professional Deputyships, mainly for clients with an acquired brain injury. We also manage the affairs of a number of clients who have Personal Injury Trusts.
How do you define what constitutes the best possible support for your clients?
- Someone who always puts your clients’ interests first?
- Someone who understands what your clients are going through and has experience of finding appropriate practical solutions?
- Someone who understands the key role you play in making your clients’ lives better?
- Someone who works with you, in partnership, to meet your clients’ needs?
- Someone who understands the Court of Protection system and can advise on any issues that arise in handling your clients’ affairs?
- Someone who is approachable, pleasant and easy to deal with – for both you and your clients?
- Someone who understands the pressures that can arise from different sources, including family, and who can take an objective view and deal with these in an appropriate way?
We already work closely with many solicitors and are keen to continue to expand this network of relationships and support as many professionals as possible.
We are able to act as Professional Deputy for clients of other firms who may be conducting a claim on their behalf. The Deputy is supported by a team of Case Workers and support staff. The clients that we support are based throughout the country and we have a growing national presence and client base.
Practicalities of working with you and your clients
- Where we are appointed as a Professional Deputy, we will seek to work with both you and your client and their family to ensure that their needs can be met in the most effective way possible.
- We have experience of sourcing specialist providers of everything from adapted cars to computer software and hardware for the disabled. This enables us to provide you with support when appropriate, to meet clients’ needs as rapidly as possible.
- Our wide range of contacts includes architects and project managers who are accustomed to dealing with adaptations to properties.
- Where we work with other law firms we operate ‘no poaching’ arrangements.
- In cases where we are working with another law firm who are dealing with the damages claim, we can support them in maximising their client’s compensation by preparing a statement of anticipated Court of Protection costs for the future and also providing evidence of expenditure incurred to date.
- If a family member is appointed as a lay Deputy, we will work alongside them to provide the necessary support on day to day practicalities such as operating payroll for carers, leaving the Deputy free to deal with making the decisions but removing much of the administrative burden.
- We can provide training and support to other Professionals on issues surrounding Deputyships and financial considerations for clients to help you in your relationships with them.
We recognise that this can be a very confusing issue for clients and their families and difficult for them to understand, that is why we are always willing to travel to see clients in their own home to talk through the issues surrounding the Court of Protection and Deputyships. This gives them the chance to ask the questions that are relevant to them and give them peace of mind. They also have the chance to meet with the people who may be working with them to see if they feel that they can work with them in the longer term. These initial meetings are on a completely no obligation basis and if the clients decide that they do not wish to proceed then we will not make a charge to them.