Boy aged 4 dies as a result of sepsis following discharge from Royal Free Hospital London
Daniel Klosi, aged four, died from sepsis after being sent home from the hospital on three separate occasions over a period of a week.
He first attended the Royal Free on Sunday 26 March 2023, and he was given steroids for suspected croup and sent home after a couple of hours. His parents took him back to hospital on 30 March 2023 with concerns about his breathing. They were told to give him paracetamol and ibuprofen.
Daniel became so unwell he stopped eating. He was taken back to hospital by his parents on 1 April 2023. The advice was the same as the previous attendance and he was sent home.
Later that same day, his parents returned with Daniel and waited in A&E for four hours before he was admitted. He tragically died in the early hours of 2 April 2023.
His mother, who is a qualified doctor in her native country of Albania, said:
“Each time we took Daniel to hospital, it was because we thought his condition was getting worse. We asked for tests such as blood tests and X-rays, but it felt like our concerns weren’t fully listened to. We were getting more concerned about Daniel as it looked to us like his condition was deteriorating. When he was admitted to hospital everything seemed to move so quickly and in just a few hours Daniel had died.
“We felt so helpless watching him being taken from us in the most terrible way. It’s almost impossible to find the words to describe the last few months and what we’ve been through. If it wasn’t for the hurt and pain we feel each day, it would almost seem unreal that Daniel died. Daniel was the most amazing little boy and we were so proud he was our son. He loved cooking and baking with me. He loved animals, listening to stories and playing with his friends. Daniel was very inquisitive and curious. He was just an absolute delight and didn’t deserve to die.”
The matter has been referred to a Coroner and Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust have commenced an investigation into the events surrounding Daniel’s death at the Royal Free Hospital.
Amanda Cavanagh, Associate in Ashtons Legal Medical Negligence team, comments: “It is heartbreaking to hear yet another story of an avoidable death as a result of sepsis. This happens time and time again and is not an isolated incident. It astounds and shocks me that so many children and adults die unnecessarily as a result of delays in diagnosis and treatment of sepsis. When faced with a parent telling them that their child is just not right, why do clinicians continue to fail to listen? Early detection is vital. Please don’t be afraid to ask the question, ‘could it be Sepsis?'”
Contact our medical negligence solicitors today
Our experienced team of lawyers will be able to offer advice and guide you through every step of the claims process and our in-house rehabilitation coordinators can help to support you through your recovery.
How can we help?
If you have an enquiry or you would like to find out more about our services, why not contact us?