Jonathan Long - Partner
Jonathan is a partner who heads the firm’s agriculture & estates team and acts for landowners and farmers on a wide range of matters.
Jonathan’s work includes:
- Agricultural property
- Leasehold and freehold
- Passing on the family farm/estate to the next generation
- Wills, trusts & partnerships
- Tax planning
- Contract farming & similar arrangements
- Development land sales of all sizes involving conditional contracts, options or promotion agreements.
His recent experience includes:
- The sale of over 100 acres of development land on behalf of various farming clients
- Finding a loophole in the contract for the sale of land to a household name PLC, supported by an opinion from a QC, enabling the renegotiation of the price by a six-figure sum to reflect movement in the market
- Landlord & tenant issues
- Substantial farm and estate sales and purchases running into thousands of acres.
In addition to being a founder and judge of the BALE Award, Jonathan is a panel solicitor for the Eastern Region of the Tenant Farmers Association, a member of the NFU and the CLA, Council Member of the Suffolk Agricultural Association, Honorary Legal Adviser to the Suffolk Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs and closely involved in Suffolk FWAG. He is solicitor and trusted adviser to many families and businesses in the region’s agricultural community. Jonathan also has a particular interest in IT.